Exhibition Opportunity for Students
As part of our programme to encourage and help develop the work of emerging artists, we are inviting Fine Art students to submit exhibition proposals to result in an exhibition to be shown at Holy Biscuit. The successful applicant, either a group or individual, will be awarded the use of our exhibition space FREE for three weeks in February 2018 as well as support from the HB team.
This is a fantastic opportunity to gain experience in the following areas:
- Developing exhibitions, curatorial practice, installation and promotion within the context of an established gallery.
- Exhibiting in a gallery open to the public, gaining valuable feedback from outside the university.
- Talking about the development and curation of your work with artists and practitioners through our discussion evening.
Applicants must have an existing body of work, but further work can be developed in the run up to the exhibition. In addition to this, they must demonstrate initiative and commitment to the planning, installation and promotion of the exhibition.
If you would like to be considered, please submit your proposal for an exhibition, along with any images of work to: firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: 9am Wednesday 24th January
INTERVIEWS: Friday 26th January (tbc)
EXHIBITION: 10th February – 1st March
PREVIEW: Friday 9th February
Tea + Q&A event 19th January 2 – 3pm (drop in)
Join us for tea and cake on 19th January to see the gallery space, meet the team and ask any questions you have about writing your proposal. You are not required to come to this event if you wish to apply, but it may help answer any questions before you submit a proposal.
Guidelines for Proposals:
- The written part of your proposal must be no longer than 1 A4 page and submitted as a PDF. There is no limit on the number of images with captions. Please include dimensions of your work.
- You must be available on 6 – 9th February to install your work. If you are applying as part of a group, all members of your group must be available to assist with installation and curation on these dates. You must also be available on 2nd March to de-install.
- Applicants must be current undergraduate students. If you are applying as a group all members of your group must be current students. We welcome applications from mature students.
- Proposals will not be accepted after the deadline.
Holy Biscuit produces, curates and supports exhibitions and projects involving emerging and established artists, with a particular interest in socially engaged artistic practice as a tool for social transformation. HB is committed to asking questions about art, community and shared life through challenging, engaging art and socially engaged projects. HB supports artists and creative practitioners from all disciplines through providing exhibition and volunteering opportunities throughout the year.
Holy Biscuit is an arts organisation based in Shieldfield, Newcastle operating on the intersection of contemporary art, faith and community activity. More often than not these worlds function in their own spheres without much interest in or knowledge of each other. HB brings them together under one roof. A project of the Methodist Church, HB is not a mainstream church project but curates and supports a range of exhibitions, workshops and discussions as part of a contemporary arts programme which examines aspects of faith along with other social, political and cultural strands and themes.